In an episode of the Dairy Stream podcast, the Center for Dairy Research (CDR) at the University of Wisconsin – one of the nation’s premier dairy research centers – is highlighted for its integral role in keeping the dairy economy healthy and dairy customers happy.
Dairy Stream host Mike Austin talked with John Lucey, who is the director for the CDR and a professor of food science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, about cheese research, CDR being an important educator, cheese shelf life for exporting, UW’s Babcock Hall remodeling and CDR’s COVID-19 guidance for cheese makers.
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin sponsored this episode.
- 1:37: COVID-19 has altered CDR’s routine, but they are still researching
- 2:22: CDR is the largest educator of people who work in the dairy industry
- 4:37: Research is being done to extend the shelf life of cheese for exporting
- 10:37: Policies and techniques are important to increase cheese shelf life
- 14:44: UW’s remodeled Babcock Hall provides research on specialty cheeses and milk powders
- 19:58: Making certain cheeses or powders would increase exports globally
- 22:35: CDR is giving guidance on how to navigate COVD-19 challenges
- 24:19: CDR is a resource for those looking to get into cheese making
About Dairy Stream:
Dairy Stream focuses on policy, sustainability, market trends, new technology, processor updates, business partner news and farmer involvement. The podcast is co-produced by the Dairy Business Association and Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative, sister organizations that fight for effective dairy policy in Wisconsin and Washington, D.C..
The Dairy Business Association is the leading dairy lobby group in Wisconsin, focused on advocating for sensible state laws and regulations that affect the dairy community. The nonprofit organization is comprised of dairy farmers, milk processors, vendors and other business partners who work collaboratively to ensure that dairy farms of all sizes have the support they need to keep America’s Dairyland strong. More information: www.dairyforward.com
Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative provides dairy farmers throughout the Midwest with a powerful voice — the voice of milk — in Congress, with customers and within their communities. Edge, based in Green Bay, Wis., is one of the top cooperatives in the country based on milk volume. More information: www.voiceofmilk.com.