BROOMFIELD, Colo. — Five lucky BolderBOULDER runners will receive more than bragging rights for competing in one of the nation’s top road races on Memorial Day 2010. WhiteWave Foods, the Broomfield-based company that makes Silk®, Horizon™, International Delight®, LAND O LAKES® and Fruit2day® will reward five lucky runners with free WhiteWave products for a year as part of the company’s BolderBOULDER sponsorship.
A “golden ticket” will be randomly included in five of the WhiteWave Foods-branded lunch bags that will be handed out to all BolderBOULDER participants after they complete the race. The prizes will include 52 coupons for all five of WhiteWave’s brands (Silk, Horizon, International Delight, LAND O LAKES and Fruit2day) worth approximately $1,200 per winner.
“We are honored to be a sponsor of the BolderBOULDER this year and proud of our more than 150 WhiteWave employees that have signed up to run, walk or volunteer,” said Blaine McPeak, president of WhiteWave Foods. “With almost 500 local employees, supporting our community always has and continues to be very important to us. We feel fortunate to be involved in this great hometown event.”
In addition to being a sponsor of the event, the company is covering entry fees for all WhiteWave Foods employees running and walking this year’s race. The company even offered employees the chance to qualify for particular waves of the race right from work when staff from the BolderBOULDER brought two treadmills to WhiteWave headquarters.
To help train employees for the race, WhiteWave also offered complimentary pre-race training sessions with Ric Rojas and his coaching team at Ric Rojas Running. Rojas is a well-known running coach and winner of the BolderBOULDER’s inaugural race in 1979. Rojas has won countless events since his first BolderBOULDER, and today is a doctoral candidate in sports sciences at the University of Northern Colorado.
Some of Rojas’ tips for runners include:
1. Have a Training Plan – Pick three or four practice days every week, stick to your schedule and gradually build up your mileage and intensity to gain experience and confidence.
2. Train Smart – Think about each workout before you start. Ideally, do endurance for long runs, pacing for interval training or speed for short sprints.
3. Have a Race Plan – Write your goal down in a place where you can see it several times a day, and train by practicing at the exact pace over shorter distances such as a quarter, half or full mile.
While Rojas helped WhiteWave employees properly train for the race, WhiteWave registered dietician, Andrea Carrothers, shared the following vital nutrition tips for runners leading up to the race:
1. Balance is Key – Carbohydrates are important for energy, but there’s no need to pile them on for a 10K. A smart strategy is to stick with a balanced combination of carbohydrates, lean proteins and healthy fats leading up the race. Good options include cereal with milk and fruit or a Fruit2day, pasta with lean meat sauce, or a good old PB&J. Make sure to go with a simple, familiar meal the night before – nothing you haven’t tried before.
2. Stay Hydrated – Fluids are essential before, during and after the race. Don’t forget to drink up! You may want to practice drinking on the run – it’s tougher than it looks and could upset your stomach if you’re not used to it.
3. Refuel Right After the Race – Fluids, carbohydrates and protein are all essential for refueling your tired muscles after the race. Cold, creamy Horizon organic milk or Silk soymilk is the perfect post-race refresher, with benefits that go beyond just quenching your thirst. Both provide high-quality protein, carbohydrates and other key nutrients like potassium to help your muscles recover quickly.
WhiteWave will also be adding more fun elements around the race. Look for Facebook and Twitter updates in the week leading up to the BolderBOULDER. Additional training and nutrition tips will also be posted on The Grazing Mind, the WhiteWave Foods blog.
About WhiteWave Foods:
WhiteWave Foods is a pioneer in creating healthy, innovative, responsibly-produced foods, including organic and natural leaders Horizon® milk, Silk® Soymilk, as well as other favorites like International Delight® and LAND O LAKES®* cultured and liquid dairy products. WhiteWave, through a joint venture with Switzerland-based Hero Group, also produces Fruit2day®, a fruit juice beverage with real fruit bits that contains two servings of fruit.
Based in Colorado, WhiteWave Foods is committed to sustainable and responsible business practices ranging from greenhouse gas, waste and water use reduction initiatives to ensuring food security for its local and global neighbors. The company was established in 2004 when Dean Foods Company (NYSE:DF) consolidated much of its branded business into one consumer packaged goods organization. For more information, visit the WhiteWave website at www.whitewavefoods.com, the WhiteWave blog at www.grazingmind.com, or follow WhiteWave on Facebook and Twitter.
*The LAND O LAKES brand is owned by Land O’Lakes, Inc. and is used by license.
Source: WhiteWave Foods