Madison, Wis. – Sliced, ready-to-eat meats are the backbone of the supermarket deli, accounting for up to one-third of deli sales. You can help your deli meat sales stay strong by training associates who can answer questions and help customers choose the meats that best meet their needs and preferences.
Deli Meat: Product Knowledge for Retail Staff, an online training program, teaches deli department associates to provide customers with meal solutions centered around sliced deli meats. The International Dairy-Deli-Bakery Association (IDDBA), Madison, WI, partnered with LearnSomething, Inc., Tallahassee, FL, along with sponsors Armour-Eckrich, Sara Lee, Jennie-O Turkey Store, and Hormel and several major retailers to develop this online course.
Deli Meat: Product Knowledge for Retail Staff will introduce your deli sales staff to the world of ready-to-eat deli slicing meats. Staff will learn to answer questions like:
- “What’s the difference between this turkey breast and that one?”
- “I’m looking for a great meat for snacking, what would you suggest?”
- “Is deli meat a healthy choice?”
The deli meat e-learning program expands associates’ knowledge about the general characteristics, nutritional value, flavor, and menu concepts of popular varieties of deli beef, turkey, and ham.
Deli Meat: Product Knowledge for Retail Staff consists of five stand-alone modules:
- Deli Meat Basics helps the associate understand the importance of deli meats to the department and the factors that affect cost and quality, as well as providing a basic overview of three main types of deli slicing meats.
- Deli Ham covers information about these ham types: Honey/Brown sugar-cured Ham, Boiled Ham, Prosciutto, Black Forest Ham, and Virginia Ham.
- Deli Beef presents information about these beef types: Roast Beef, Smoked Beef, Pastrami, Corned Beef and Pepper Beef.
- Deli Turkey delivers key information about these turkey types: Oven-roasted Turkey Breast, Smoked Turkey Breast, Specialty-flavored Turkey Breast, Glazed Turkey Breast and Turkey Ham.
- Putting It All Together Deli Meat uses a customer interaction scenario to help associates apply their knowledge for higher sales.
Deli Meat: Product Knowledge for Retail Staff is a companion to the successful courses Prepare to Serve: Product Solutions for Customers, Fresh Perishable Foods and Cheese: Product Knowledge for Retail Staff. The series motivates associates to provide extraordinary customer service on the sales floor and to stay focused on the importance of product knowledge and solution selling.
All three courses include a customizable tracking and reporting system. Quantity discounts are available, and IDDBA members receive an additional 10% discount.
Courses can be assigned and results tracked via LearnSomething’s customizable learning management system (LMS), or hosted in a corporate LMS.
To learn more about the entire Prepare to Sell Fresh Perishable Foods series, visit www.iddba.org and click on “Training.” Or contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To read the rest of this story, please go to: IDDBA