The Star Group of Companies is taking its first step in the plastic conversation, leading with the theme, ‘let’s reduce plastic together’ for the upcoming CPMA tradeshow in Montreal, Canada. Recognizing there is an industry problem through the supply chain, The Star Group is examining the current state of plastics, plastic reduction and partnering with pure science to innovate for the future.
Consumer education is a monumental task. We as producers need to focus on science-based solutions to come up with great alternatives to package fresh produce. Harmonizing our plastic into a single stream and bio-based solutions where plastic is made out of feedstock is clearly the future.
‘We are shifting our focus internally and looking at innovation through a different lens,’ commented David Karwacki, CEO of The Star Group. ‘By engaging customers, suppliers and pure science we can come up with eloquent solutions that consumers will love. We all know that people want to make a difference in reducing plastic. As an industry if we join together we can make changes quickly.’
The Star Group successes to date include:
- Continued implementation of topseal on multiple products resulting in 30% reduction in plastic per container.
- Launching Inspired Greens whole head lettuce in recyclable sleeves had transformed 2 million potential pounds of PETE plastic to under 100,000 pounds of recyclable sleeves.
- Reduction in the gage of plastic in packaging resulting in up to 11% reduction per punnet.
- Investments in pallet wrapping machines that utilize recyclable wrap in all facilities that consistently and efficiently wrap pallets and result in a 60% reduction of plastic wrap
- Cardboard and plastic in all facilities is bailed and recycled
- All organic waste is composted
- Offices recycle paper, plastic, refundable containers and have eliminated plastic water bottles
The Star Group is looking for new and better ways to innovate in all of our products. This includes finding next generation packaging options that will delight consumers and truly make a difference.