“Healthier by Dole” recipe series offers leafy greens linked to the Zodiac in celebration of May’s designation as National Salad Month
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Beyond ingredient variety, nutritional value, taste and ease of preparation, Dole Food Company, Inc. has added another selection criteria to the 12 recipes featured during its “Healthier by Dole” recipe series in May. The alignment of the stars.
In honor of National Salad Month in May, and in the spirit of encouraging more Americans to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables on the eve of the summer salad season, the produce leader has released a dozen original salad recipes linked to the specific astrological personalities of the 12 Zodiac signs.
“Healthier by Dole” is a monthly recipe series that provides healthier, easier and tastier menu alternatives for big and small holidays and eating occasions. So far this year, Dole has offered a big game-worthy vegan tailgate in February, healthier, Irish-themed dishes for St. Patrick’s Day in March, and banana-centric recipes in honor of National Banana Week in April.
According to Melanie Marcus, RD, MA, Dole’s nutrition and health communications manager, this month’s salad-eating message is meant to be fun, slightly irreverent and reach those who may not be following a regular salad routine. “From the Virgo who appreciates a more structured bowl of greens to the Scorpio looking for more daring ingredients to the Gemini conflicted between sweet and savory, we’ve got your salad profile covered.”
“Our ‘Healthier by Dole’ menu series is all about making fresh produce more fun and accessible,” said Marcus. “Our hope is that by personalizing salad prep and selection, we inspire non-salad-eaters to discover that when fresh lettuces, fruits, vegetables, toppings and dressings come together in a bowl, the result can taste like a little slice of heaven.”
Here are Marcus’ 12 salad signs of the Zodiac in honor of both National Salad Month and National Eat More Fruits and Vegetables Day, an annual holiday observed on the Thursday before Memorial Day, which this year is May 26.
Capricorn: December 22–January 19
- Chopped Bacon Caesar with Shrimp – Ambitious, always-working Capricorns have precious little time to prepare recipes, so should appreciate this classic, easy-to-assemble salad that takes just 5 minutes to make.
Aquarius: January 20–February 18
- Watermelon and Shaved Ricotta Salata with Mint – Aquarians are clever, unique, glass-is-half-full individuals who add a breath of fresh air to any situation – much like this Watermelon and Shaved Ricotta Salata with Mint puts a fun twist on the typical bowl of greens.
Pisces: February 19–March 20
- Pepper Crusted Tuna Cucumber Crunch Salad – Often considered the most lovable and soulful of the Zodiac signs, Pisces, identified by the fish, will be drawn to this artistic creation that adds peppercorn-crusted tuna steaks, DOLE® cucumber and radishes to DOLE® Chopped Sunflower Crunch Salad Kit
Aries: March 21–April 19
Blazin’ Fruit Salad – Created as a tribute to the bigger-than-life Maui in Disney’s Moana, Dole’s Blazin’ Fruit Salad with lemon zest and grilled tropical goodness is the perfect choice for this spontaneous, often-impetuous sign that possesses an internal fire that sets it apart.
Taurus: April 20–May 20
Southwest Caesar Chicken Salad – Trustworthy is a key trait of a Taurus – and if there’s one salad you can always count on, it’s the ever-popular Caesar. In fact, Caesar is one of Dole’s best-selling packaged salad varieties.
Gemini: May 21–June 21
- Sweet and Savory Potato Salad – Geminis, the twins, are a study in contradictions, and paradoxes – a dilemma that undoubtedly extends to the choice between savory and sweet. Dole makes it easy with this split-personality salad that delivers both flavor profiles.
Cancer: June 22–July 22
- Shaved Spring Vegetables, Spring Greens and Curry Salad – Known for their intuition and intensity, Cancerians follow their instincts. This veggie-based salad delivers with an unapologetically robust blend of raw beets, radishes, carrots and cashew curry dressing.
Leo: July 23–August 22
- Lion Cobb Chicken Salad – Bold and fierce, Dole’s Lion Cobb Chicken Salad, developed by Marcus as part of Dole’s celebration of Disney’s The Lion King, truly stands out in a crowd, which any confident Leo will love.
Virgo: August 23–September 22
- Summer Cobb Salad – Virgos love stability in their life, so should appreciate the chance to take control by assembling this deconstructed Dole Summer Cobb Salad.
Libra: September 23–October 23
- Chopped Tahini-Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken – Delivering the perfect mix of ingredients and flavors in every mouthful, this Dole chopped salad appeals to harmony- and balance-seeking Librans.
Scorpio: October 24–November 21
- Southwestern Gazpacho – If there was one word to describe a Scorpio it is unafraid – and what’s braver than using a blender to create a drinkable Dole salad?
Sagittarius: November 22–December 21
- Walkabout Salad Cones – Stepping out of their comfort zone comes natural for Sagittarians. This movable salad delivers the out-of-the-box goods with such diverse ingredients as golden beets, edamame, pistachios, arugula and corn tortillas.
About Dole Food Company, Inc.
Dole Food Company, Inc., is one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of high-quality fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. Dole is an industry leader in many of the products it sells, as well as in nutrition education and research. For more information, please visit www.dole.com.