MISSION VIEJO, CA – Summer avocado sales continued to grow as shoppers purchased a record number of fresh Hass avocados in celebration of dad, 4th of July, and the start of a new school year. The Hass Avocado Board’s recently published Q3 holiday recap report indicates that Father’s Day, the 4th of July and Labor Day holidays all reached four-year highs. The report is insightful for retailers and industry leaders to use the information as they plan promotions for the upcoming year and look for new opportunities for avocado sales growth.
Key highlights from the report include:
- Avocado sales reached a 4-year high of $61.6M and 55.1M units
- Father’s Day week posted strong growth since 2017, up +24% in dollars and +49% in units
- Seven of eight regions grew dollar sales, with Northeast at a national high growth rate of +19%
- Average sales price declined in all regions across the U.S., down -17% to $1.12/unit nationally
4th of July
- The 4th of July holiday bounced back in 2020 with a significant increase in volume, up +40% vs. prior year to 58.7M units
- Unit sales increased by +16.9M units nationally. All eight regions saw unit growth with South Central seeing the highest incremental increase of 3.2M units
- Dollar sales reached a four-year high of $64.7M, an increase of +4%
- Dollar sales increased by +$2.4M nationally. Six out of eight regions posted dollar increases
- 2020 showed the highest volume growth rate in the last four years with an increase of +26% vs. prior year, bringing unit sales to 53.6M units
- Dollar sales held strong at $53.7M
- On average, avocado retailers saw sales of $569 per store during the holiday week
- Per store sales were especially strong in California ($1,234) and West ($1,199) regions
|The Hass Avocado Board’s recently published Q3 2020 Avocado Holiday Retail Recap reveals four-year sales high for three key summer holidays: Father’s Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. Retailers can use this information to plan promotions for the year ahead.|
The Hass Avocado Board releases a holiday recap each quarter, covering avocado sales trends for the corresponding holidays and events. The Hass Avocado Board offers these insights and detailed retail information as the only avocado organization that equips the entire industry for success, with clear and actionable data and metrics that all can use to drive their avocado business. For more information about avocado sales for each holiday, visit hassavocadoboard.com.
About The Hass Avocado Board
The Hass Avocado Board (HAB) exists to help make avocados America’s most popular fruit. HAB is the only avocado organization that equips the entire global industry for success by collecting, focusing and distributing investments to maintain and expand demand for avocados in the United States. HAB provides the industry with consolidated supply and market data, conducts nutrition research, educates health professionals, and brings people together from all corners of the industry to collectively work towards growth that benefits everyone. The organization also collects and reallocates funds to California and importer associations to benefit specific countries of origin in promoting their avocado brands to customers and consumers across the United States.