SALISBURY, N.C.—Food Lion announced today its latest sustainability efforts in celebration of Earth Day. The retailer released a colorful infographic which shows its progress in helping the environment in various ways.
Highlights include the following:
- Conserve – Since 2000, Food Lion saved more than 825.5 million kilowatt-hours of energy, which is equivalent to powering 66,340 HOMES for a year.
- Recycle – In 2018, Food Lion recycled 8,862 tons of food into animal feed, 126,915 tons of office paper and 5,932 tons of plastic bags and other in-store plastics.
- Food Rescue – Food Lion became the first retailer 20 years ago to introduce a food rescue program so that food could be given to local food banks and agencies. All food is safe to eat. In 2018, through Food Lion Feeds, the company showed its care for local feeding agencies by donating fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, dairy products and shelf-stable food throughout the year to help end hunger in our communities. The company donated 88 million pounds of food.
- Sustainable Products – Food Lion is one of a few grocers that has an industry-leading sustainable seafood policy covering more than 2,500 fresh, frozen, canned or packaged products sold across the store. This means our seafood products are traceable back to the original source fishery or farm.
- Recognition – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognized Food Lion last week with its 18th consecutive ENERGY STAR award for its continued leadership in protecting our environment through superior energy efficiency. Food Lion is the only grocery retailer to receive the award for 18 years consecutively.
About Food Lion
Food Lion, based in Salisbury, N.C., since 1957, has more than 1,000 stores in 10 Southeastern and Mid-Atlantic states and employs more than 63,000 associates. By leveraging its longstanding heritage of low prices and convenient locations, Food Lion is working to own the easiest full shop grocery experience in the Southeast, anchored by a strong commitment to affordability, freshness and the communities it serves. Through Food Lion Feeds, the company has committed to provide 500 million meals to individuals and families in need by the end of 2020. Food Lion is a company of Ahold Delhaize USA, the U.S. division of Zaandam-based Royal Ahold Delhaize Group. For more information, visit www.foodlion.com