SALISBURY, N.C. – Food Lion will unveil a new, easier shopping experience for customers in 14 towns and cities throughout the greater Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Va., markets on Wednesday, July 31.
The company made a significant $40 million capital investment in its 23 area stores earlier this year, which included remodeling the stores, hiring 400 additional associates and giving back to local communities.
“Food Lion has nourished our neighbors in the greater Charlottesville, Harrisonburg community for 37 years, and we’re excited to bring these improvements to our 23 local stores,” said Meg Ham, president of Food Lion. “We’ve created a new grocery shopping experience through the significant investments in our stores, associates and communities. From our expanded variety and product assortment, newly reorganized stores, to a more efficient check-out experience, every change we’ve made will make it easier for our customers to find the quality products they have come to expect from Food Lion. When coupled with our weekly sales and promotions, customers will see that we have made it easier for them to nourish their families with healthy foods on a budget.”
Each store will open to the public at 8 a.m. on July 31, following a 7:45 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony. As part of the celebration, the first 100 customers in line will receive a Food Lion reusable grocery bag, a Food Lion branded apron and a $10 gift card. One shopper will get a $250 card. Also, later that day at 5 p.m. Food Lion will be giving another round of $10 gift cards to the first 100 customers in all 23 stores.
Among the changes customers will see:
- Expanded variety and assortment across all departments relevant to our customers in each store, such as more local produce in our “Local Goodness” section, an expanded variety of craft beer, limited reserve wines, and more local, natural, organic and gluten-free items;
- An abundant selection of fresh produce and meat backed by Food Lion’s double-your-money-back guarantee and a larger selection of Nature’s Promise beef, pork, poultry, milk, eggs, bottled water, cereal, coffee and other items. Nature’s Promise is Food Lion’s brand of wholesome and organic products that your family can trust because they are made with no artificial flavors, preservatives or synthetic colors;
- Two stores will have walk-in produce coolers designed to keep produce fresher, longer. These stores are in the towns of Ruckersville, Va., located at 136 Cedar Grove Road and Charlottesville, Va., located at 32 Mill Creek Drive;
- Hand-battered chicken as well as a greater selection of easy and affordable complete meals for families and a wider variety of grab-and-go items and pre-sliced deli meats and cheeses, which are sliced fresh daily and available for customers to pick up without waiting in line;
- A more efficient checkout process, making it easier to get in, out, and on your-way.
Also, consistent with Food Lion’s focus on fighting hunger in its local communities through Food Lion Feeds, we are partnering with Blue Ridge Area Food Bank and its agencies to announce a $23,000 commitment to improve capacity for local agencies so they can assist more hungry families. A press conference will be held 10 a.m., July 30 at the Food Lion store located on 32 Mill Creek Drive in Charlottesville, Va.
Food Lion now has remodeled 80 percent of its network of more than 1,000 stores across its 10-state operating area.
About Food Lion
Food Lion, based in Salisbury, N.C., since 1957, has more than 1,000 stores in 10 Southeastern and Mid-Atlantic states and employs more than 63,000 associates. By leveraging its longstanding heritage of low prices and convenient locations, Food Lion is working to own the easiest full shop grocery experience in the Southeast, anchored by a strong commitment to affordability, freshness and the communities it serves. Through Food Lion Feeds, the company has donated more than 500 million meals to individuals and families in need since 2014. Food Lion is a company of Ahold Delhaize USA, the U.S. division of Zaandam-based Royal Ahold Delhaize Group. For more information, visit www.foodlion.com.