PROVIDENCE, R.I. — In a virtual awards show broadcast on Wednesday, Nov. 18, UNFI announced the 30 category winners of its annual Master Marketer competition, which recognizes best-in-class marketing efforts by independent grocery retailers served by UNFI’s wholesale distribution business.
In addition to the category winners, Foster’s, a family-owned and operated grocer with five stores and a distribution center on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands, was named the 2020 Grand Master Marketer for overall consistent performance over the years.
“In a year of great change and challenges, we’re proud of how our independent grocers are continuing to make powerful connections with their customers and local communities through effective marketing and merchandising programs,” said UNFI President Chris Testa. “We’re thrilled to continue our Master Marketer awards program, albeit virtually this year, and recognize those grocers who are truly excelling at building their brand, their customer relationships, and their overall business. Congratulations to all the nominees, winners, and to Foster’s for their achievement as this year’s Grand Master Marketer recipient.”
This year, 275 marketing programs were submitted for the 2020 Master Marketer awards which are judged based on the creativity, clarity, and effectiveness of the stores’ marketing efforts. Entries were assessed by professors and grad students from St. Joe’s University, University of Wisconsin, and the University of Minnesota.
Additionally, UNFI associates were given the opportunity to vote for the first-ever Master Marketer Associate’s Choice Award. In this category, 12 nominees in the TV commercial category were given another chance at being recognized for their TV spots. Winning this category was CUB in Stillwater, Minn. for their “Chalk Art” TV commercial.
The full list of store winners by category is as follows:
Tier 1: Stores 30,000 square feet and smaller
- Extra Effort Advertising – Hall’s Great Valu Supermarket, Colonial Beach, Va.
- Fresh Department – Handy Foods, Ottawa, Ill.
- Grand Opening/Anniversary – Bill’s IGA, Staunton, Ill.
- Natural, Organic, Specialty – Food Bowl Market, San Diego, Calif.
- Industry Promotion – Babbs Supermarket, Spencer, Ind.
- Public Service/Community – Vintage Grocers, Malibu, Calif.
- Radio Spots – Island Foods, Chincoteague, Va.
- Website/Social Media – Supervalu, Warren, Ark.
- TV Commercials – Baesler’s Market, Sullivan, Ind.
- Tier 1 Master Marketer – Food Bowl Market, San Diego, Calif.
Tier 2: Stores Stores larger than 30,000 square feet
- Extra Effort Advertising – Baesler’s Market, Terre Haute, Ind.
- Fresh Department – Dorothy Lane Market, Dayton, Ohio
- Grand Opening/Anniversary – Oakes Farms Seed to Table, Naples, Fla.
- Natural, Organic, Specialty – Wholesome Choice, Irvine, Calif.
- Private Brands – Lynn’s Superfoods, Hardin, Mont.
- Industry Promotion – Chris Food Center, Sandstone, Minn.
- Public Service/Community – Mackenthun’s Fine Foods, Waconia, Minn.
- Website/Social Media – North Branch County Market, North Branch, Minn.
- TV Commercials – Baesler’s Market, Terre Haute, Ind.
- Tier 2 Master Marketer – Oakes Farms Seed to Table, Naples, Fla.
Tier 3: Store groups with five or more locations
- Extra Effort Advertising – Foster’s, George Town, Grand Cayman
- Fresh Department – Myers Group Corporate, Clinton, Wash.
- Grand Opening/Anniversary – Coborn’s, Inc., St. Cloud, Minn.
- Natural, Organic, Specialty – Ingles Markets, Black Mountain, N.C.
- Private Brands – Super One Foods, Duluth, Minn.
- Industry Promotion – Karns, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Public Service/Community – Pay-Less Market Inc., Hagatna, Guam
- Radio Spots – Food Depot, Stockbridge, Ga.
- Website/Social Media – The Fresh Market, Greensboro, N.C.
- TV Commercials – CUB, Stillwater, Minn.
- Tier 3 Master Marketer – Karns, Harrisburg, Pa.
About United Natural Foods
UNFI is North America’s premier food wholesaler delivering the widest variety of products to customer locations throughout North America including natural product superstores, independent retailers, conventional supermarket chains, ecommerce retailers and food service customers. By providing this deeper ‘full-store’ selection and compelling brands for every aisle, UNFI is uniquely positioned to deliver great food, more choices and fresh thinking to customers everywhere. Today, UNFI is the largest publicly traded grocery distributor in America. To learn more about how UNFI is Moving Food Forward, visit www.unfi.com.