MISSISSAUGA, ON – Walmart Canada is building its first distribution centre in Atlantic Canada – a brand new, state-of-the-art facility in Moncton, New Brunswick.
The new distribution centre will provide fresh and frozen groceries for Walmart Canada’s 43 Atlantic Canada stores. Customers will see better product availability and quicker service whether they choose to shop in-store or online through Walmart.ca.
The site will be located at 125 Frenette Ave and is slated to open fall 2022.
“Today’s investment is exciting news for all our associates, customers and supplier partners as we continue building a Walmart Canada that is the envy of the world,” said Horacio Barbeito, President and CEO, Walmart Canada. “We are growing, and we are innovating because our customers deserve the best experience when they choose to shop with us. Today is a proud day.”
“Walmart Canada is delighted to be building our first distribution centre in Atlantic Canada in Moncton,” said John Bayliss, Executive Vice-President, Transformation Officer, Walmart Canada. “We’re developing a world class supply chain that prioritizes our customers. The better and stronger the supply chain, the quicker our customers can get the products they want in our stores and online.”
The project will create more than 200 jobs inside the distribution centre, as well as construction and engineering roles during the build. Over the last 12 months, Walmart has purchased more than $185 million worth of products from over 68 Atlantic Canada-based suppliers in support of local economies. Twenty-one of these suppliers are in New Brunswick.
“Walmart’s decision to locate its Eastern Canadian Distribution Centre here in Moncton is a both welcome news and a recognition of the city and province’s growth advantage. The importance of supply chains is well understood after the past year of upheaval. Moncton and its vast supply chain apparatus of distribution centres, excellent roads, rail connection, air links as well as top calibre people have helped keep the region going,” said Premier of New Brunswick, Blaine Higgs.
“We are thrilled to welcome Walmart to one of Moncton’s Industrial Parks. This is another great addition that will bring jobs to the City and contribute to the three-year streak of record-breaking land sales and development for Moncton Industrial Development. Walmart Canada is another client that has demonstrated their confidence in Moncton as the hub for businesses looking to expand and re-locate in Atlantic Canada,” said City of Moncton Mayor, Dawn Arnold.
Key project details:
- Walmart Canada is investing more than $56 million in the project.
- Part of Walmart Canada’s milestone $3.5 billion investment over the next five years aimed to generate significant growth and to make the online and in-store shopping experience simpler, faster and more convenient for our customers.
- The 221,000 square foot facility will sit on almost 19 acres of land.
- The facility prioritizes environmental sustainability as Walmart’s ambition is to become a regenerative company:
- Reducing long haul distances with each store delivery truck as products are now much closer to the stores leading to millions of kilometres being removed from the supply chain each year.
- Energy Star white reflective roof.
- Energy efficient LED lighting with integrated motion sensors and intelligent controls.
- Incorporating natural refrigerants.
- Waste heat generated from the refrigeration system will be reclaimed and used to supply underfloor heating systems.
- Efficient and longer lasting lithium-ion electric material handling equipment.
- Moncton is the newest project in a suite of new Canadian distribution centres currently under construction by Walmart Canada:
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a chain of more than 400 stores nationwide serving 1.5 million customers each day. Walmart Canada’s flagship online store, Walmart.ca is visited by more than 900,000 customers daily. With more than 100,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada’s largest employers and is ranked one of the country’s top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada was recently recognized as a LinkedIn Top Company of 2021 and was also named one of Canada’s most popular brands (based on Google searches). Walmart Canada’s extensive philanthropy program is focused on supporting Canadian families in need, and since 1994 Walmart Canada has raised and donated more than $500 million to Canadian charities. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca and on Walmart Canada’s social media pages – Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.