ROCKVILLE, Md. — Looking ahead to 2023, market research firm Packaged Facts in the report U.S. Food & Beverage Market Outlook 2019p rojects retail dollar sales of the fresh bread market will increase modestly from $16 billion to $17 billion.
Market gains will be driven primarily by healthier, more nutritious products with clean labels and all natural ingredients. Premium product prices will help spur dollar increases gains, and rolls and buns, as well as bagels will continue to outpace the total market.
“Virtually all American consumers eat some form of bread, but many are doing so less frequently and are consuming a lower quantity. Health and diet concerns, changing eating patterns and ethnic influences on food have notably impacted the market,” says David Sprinkle, research director for Packaged Facts. “Yet there remain opportunities for growth. Expect next generation bread products to further expand current trends including clean label, better-for-you, grain diversity, and crafted, artisan quality.”
Packaged Facts’ Key Opportunities for Future Growth:
- Farm to table: focus on authenticity and craftsmanship, treating ingredients like wheat as if they were local produce—e.g. single-origin heirloom wheat. Local farms and bakeries are creating unique products.
- New ways to deliver better health and nutrition claims: incorporating fruits, vegetables, probiotics or other healthy ingredients.
- Grain free: more choices for those who avoid grain.
- Moving out from center store: consumer perception of freshness and quality increases when packaged bread brands secure placement away from the center of the store and as close as possible to the in-house bakery or deli department.
- Marketers should also explore ways to merchandise around other fast-growing perimeter departments including produce and meat.
About the Report
U.S. Food & Beverage Market Outlook 2019 (published 03/2019, 954 pages) is available for sale from Packaged Facts.
Media members please contact our Communications Manager Daniel Granderson at email@example.com for a copy of the report summary. Those interested in purchasing the report can contact Research Specialist Frank Gaines at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.packagedfacts.com/Food-Beverage-Outlook-12278672/.
About Packaged Facts
Packaged Facts, a division of MarketResearch.com, publishes market intelligence on a wide range of consumer market topics, including consumer demographics and shopper insights, consumer financial products and services, consumer goods and retailing, and pet products and services. Packaged Facts also offers a full range of custom research services. Reports can be purchased at our company website and are also available through MarketResearch.com.