WASHINGTON- Fairbank Farms, an Ashville, NY, establishment, is recalling approximately 545,699 pounds of fresh ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agricultures Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
FSIS became aware of the problem during the course of an investigation of a cluster of E. coli O157:H7 illnesses. Working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state health and agriculture departments, FSIS determined that there is an association between the fresh ground beef products subject to recall and illnesses in Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts. FSIS is continuing to work with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, the Connecticut Department of Public Health, other state health and agriculture departments and the CDC on the investigation. Anyone with signs or symptoms of foodborne illness should consult a physician.
The products subject to recall include: [View Labels, PDF Only]
- 1-pound packages of “TRADER JOES BUTCHER SHOP FINE QUALITY MEATS GROUND BEEF 85/15.”
- 1-pound packages of “TRADER JOES BUTCHER SHOP FINE QUALITY MEATS GROUND BEEF 80/20.” NOTE: The sell-by dates for the above two products may be October 6 or 7, 2009.
- 1-pound trays of “TRADER JOES BUTCHER SHOP FINE QUALITY MEATS GROUND BEEF PATTIES 96/4 EXTRA LEAN.”
- 1-pound trays of “TRADER JOES BUTCHER SHOP FINE QUALITY MEATS GROUND BEEF PATTIES 85/15.”
- 1- and 2.5-pound trays of “PRICE CHOPPER MEATLOAF & MEATBALL MIX.”
- 1-pound trays of “PRICE CHOPPER EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF 96/4.”
- 1-pound trays of “PRICE CHOPPER FRESH GROUND BEEF CHUCK FOR CHILI 80% LEAN 20% FAT.”
Lancaster and Wild Harvest
- 1-pound trays of “LANCASTER BRAND 96/4 EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF.”
- 1- and 2-pound trays of “LANCASTER BRAND 90/10 GROUND BEEF.”
- 1-pound trays of “WILD HARVEST NATURAL 85/15 ANGUS GROUND BEEF.”
- 1- and 2-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND BEEF 93/7.”
- 1-, 2- and 3-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND BEEF 80/20.”
- 1- and 3-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND BEEF 75/25.”
- 1.3-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND SIRLOIN BEEF PATTIES 90/10.”
- 1.3-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND ROUND BEEF PATTIES 85/15.”
- 1.3-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND BEEF PATTIES 80/20.”
- 3-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND BEEF PATTIES FAMILY PACK 80/20.”
- 1-pound trays of “SHAWS ANGUS GROUND BEEF 85/15.”
- 1-, 2- and 3-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND ROUND BEEF 85/15.”
- 1-pound trays of “SHAWS 90% NATURAL GROUND BEEF.”
- 1-pound trays of “SHAWS 85% NATURAL GROUND BEEF.”
- 1-, 2- and 3-pound trays of “SHAWS FRESH GROUND SIRLOIN 90/10.”
- 1-pound trays of “MEATLOAF & MEATBALL MIX.”
- 5-pound trays of “FRESH GROUND BEEF, CONTAINS 15 % FAT” patties.
- 3- and 5-pound trays of “LEAN GROUND BEEF, CONTAINS 7% FAT.”
- 2.5-pound trays of “MEATLOAF & MEATBALL MIX.”
- 3-pound trays of “FRESH GROUND BEEF, CONTAINS 20% FAT” patties.
- 1-pound trays of “GIANT EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF 96/4.”
- 1-pound trays of “GIANT MEATLOAF & MEATBALL MIX.”
- 1-pound trays of “GIANT NATURES PROMISE GROUND BEEF.”
- 1-pound trays of “GIANT NATURES PROMISE GROUND BEEF PATTIES.”
Each package bears the establishment number “EST. 492” inside the USDA mark of inspection or on the nutrition label. These products were packaged on September 15 and 16, 2009, and may have been labeled at the retail stores with a sell-by date from September 19 through 28, 2009, unless otherwise noted above. Consumers should ask at their point of purchase if the products they have are subject to recall. The products were sent to distribution centers, intended for further distribution to retail establishments in Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on FSIS Web site at http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FSIS_Recalls/ Open_Federal_Cases/index.asp.
Products for further processing:
- Cases of 10-pound “FAIRBANK FARMS FRESH GROUND BEEF CHUBS.”
Each case bears the establishment number “EST. 492” inside the USDA mark of inspection; has package dates of “09.14.09,” “09.15.09,” or “09.16.09;” and sell-by dates of “10.3.09,” “10.4.09,” or “10.5.09. These products were distributed to retail establishments in Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia for further processing. However, these products at retail will likely not bear the package dates and sell-by dates listed above. Customers with concerns should contact their point of purchase.
E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and in the most severe cases, kidney failure. The very young, seniors and persons with weak immune systems are the most susceptible to foodborne illness. Individuals concerned about an illness should contact a physician.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
FSIS advises all consumers to safely prepare their raw meat products, including fresh and frozen, and only consume ground beef or ground beef patties that have been cooked to a temperature of 160 F. The only way to be sure ground beef is cooked to a high enough temperature to kill harmful bacteria is to use a food thermometer to measure the internal temperature.
Media questions regarding the recall should be directed the companys Media Representative, Agnes Schafer at (866) 460-8017. Consumer questions should be directed to the companys Consumer Hotline at (877) 546-0122.
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
Source: USDA FSIS