CLEVELAND — A new Freedonia Group analysis finds that flexible packaging will continue to expand its share of the frozen meat, poultry, and seafood (MPS) market due to the heightened popularity of pouches and the continued use of bags and wraps:
- US demand for flexible MPS packaging is forecast to rise 4.1% annually through 2024, outpacing demand growth for rigid MPS packaging, the study finds.
- Flexible packaging offers numerous advantages over rigid, including increased cost effectiveness, lighter weight, and improved protection of frozen foods.
- Demand is further boosted by the rising use of individually portioned servings, which are often sold in flexible packaging.
However, rigid packaging is still expected to perform better in this market than in many other frozen food segments, supported by corrugated box sales, especially for products sold via warehouse club stores or to the foodservice industry.
Frozen Meat, Poultry, & Seafood Packaging Market to Reach $2.6 Billion in 2024
Frozen meat, poultry, and seafood packaging demand is projected to grow 3.6% annually through 2024 to $2.6 billion, supported by:
- the rising popularity of convenience-type items – such as frozen portion-control steaks, individual quick frozen chicken pieces, and fully cooked frozen products – which often utilize more packaging per unit
- the promotion of frozen meat, poultry, and seafood as economical protein options that can be on hand for a quick meal when needed
- momentum from consumers who increased their purchases of frozen food during the COVID-19 pandemic, with sales of frozen meat, poultry, and seafood showing especially strong gains in 2020
- a switch to higher-value retail frozen food packaging that is targeted at catching consumer interest
Want to Learn More?
Frozen Meat, Poultry, & Seafood Packaging is now available from the Freedonia Group.
This study analyzes the market for frozen food packaging by application, product, and material. Historical (2009, 2014 and 2019) data and forecasts to 2024 are presented in current dollars.
- meat (e.g., beef and veal, pork, lamb) as well as meat products marketed as breakfast meats
- poultry (chicken, turkey, and other products such as goose and duck)
- seafood (all fish and shellfish)
- pouches (flat, stand-up)
- other flexible packaging (e.g., chubs, vacuum skin packaging, paper interleaving)
- boxes (e.g., folding cartons, corrugated boxes, gable top cartons)
- paperboard sleeves
- other rigid packaging
- paper and paperboard
- foil and other materials (e.g., molded pulp)
About the Freedonia Group – The Freedonia Group, a division of MarketResearch.com, is the premier international industrial research company, providing our clients with product analyses, market forecasts, industry trends, and market share information. From one-person consulting firms to global conglomerates, our analysts provide companies with unbiased, reliable industry market research and analysis to help them make important business decisions. With over 100 studies published annually, we support over 90% of the industrial Fortune 500 companies. Find off-the-shelf studies at https://www.freedoniagroup.com/ or contact us for custom research: +1 440.842.2400.