CASTROVILLE, Calif. – Ocean Mist Farms, the leading grower and marketer of fresh artichokes in the U.S., is pleased to announce the 2021 scholarship recipients. Since 2018, the Ocean Mist Farms Academic Scholarship Program annually awards seven scholarships to recipients who demonstrate the guiding values of Ocean Mist Farms – integrity, quality, passion, and success – with $1,000 toward their college tuition.
“We are thrilled to announce our scholarship recipients for the class of 2021,” said Jonelle Wong, Scholarship Committee Chairperson at Ocean Mist Farms. “At Ocean Mist Farms, one of the most rewarding things we do each year is to support our local students through this scholarship program. We look forward to continuing in this tradition of recognizing students for their hard work for years to come.”
After reviewing 23 applications, the committee selected seven students to receive the $1,000 scholarship:
DEPENDENT SCHOLARSHIP WINNER
- Layla Ruiz, daughter of Serafin Ruiz (Operations Manager, Sea Breeze Harvesting – Castroville).
- Layla will be attending UCLA and majoring in Biology.
- Victoria Sager, daughter of Jonelle Wong (Operations Controller, Ocean Mist Foods – Castroville).
- Victoria is currently attending San Jose State and was awarded her Bachelor’s Degree in Communication from San Diego State University.
PUBLIC SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
- Erick Torres will attend Stanford University (North Salinas High School)
- Majoring in Aerospace Engineering
- Katherine Hodges has been accepted to Pepperdine, St. Marys, UC Davis, UC San Diego and UCLA (Notre Dame High School)
- Majoring in Human Biology, Pre Med
- Lena Noya will attend Brown University (Santa Cruz High School)
- Majoring in Neuroscience
- Consuelo Vidal-Perez will attend USC (Watsonville High School)
- Majoring in Law, History and Culture
- Julia Hicks will attend Boise State University Honors College (San Benito High School)
- Majoring in Criminal Justice
The scholarships are open to local residents of Monterey, Riverside, San Benito, and Santa Cruz counties. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA or higher, and submissions require an essay, letters of reference, completed scholarship application and proof of higher education acceptance.
For more information, please view the application and full list of requirements at: oceanmist.com/scholarship-program.
# # #
About Ocean Mist Farms
Ocean Mist Farms, a fourth-generation family-owned business and the largest grower of fresh artichokes in North America, is committed to delivering the highest standards in the industry for food safety, product quality, customer service, innovation and sustainability. The company’s full line of over 30 fresh vegetables includes the award-winning Season & Steam and Ocean Mist Organic product lines. To stay up to date on the 2021 artichoke season, follow Ocean Mist on Instagram. To learn more about Ocean Mist Farms, visit www.oceanmist.com/. For recipe inspiration and preparation tips, follow the brand on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.