ROSEMONT, Ill.- US Foods Holding Corp. (NYSE: USFD) announced today the launch of Summer Scoop 2019 (Summer Scoop), showcasing 21 innovative products designed to help independent restaurant operators keep up with today’s busy diners. The fast-paced growth of the convenience-dining market is reshaping the restaurant industry, with 38 percent of U.S. adults – including 50 percent of millennials – saying they are more likely to have restaurant food delivered than they were two years ago.1
“We recently surveyed more than 500 independent restaurant operators and found that only 53 percent felt confident in their ability to utilize delivery services,” said Stacey Kinkaid, vice president, product development and innovation, US Foods. “Right now, we know that delivery and on-the-go dining is causing major shifts in the restaurant world. In fact, more than 80 percent of consumers report using services that let them enjoy restaurant food outside of the restaurant, at least monthly.2 This Summer Scoop lineup gives our customers the tools, the products and the confidence they need to provide delivery, take-out, grab-and-go and retail solutions for anytime, anywhere dining.”
Summer Scoop also highlights the intersection of customer convenience and environmentally conscious practices for restaurant operators. It delivers on-trend menu offerings, services and disposables to reach new customers and create additional opportunities with regular diners.
Convenience Meets Environmentally Conscious
While customers continue to eat off-premises at a higher frequency, 65 percent are concerned with the environmental impact of the take-out containers and to-go packaging.3 Summer Scoop features an assortment of sustainable options, including bowls, which appear on one-third of U.S. menus and have grown at a 16 percent rate over the past four years.4 Highlights include:
- Monogram Molded Fiber Bowl: This bowl is 100 percent compostable and Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) certified, sustainably made from molded wheat fiber and can be used for hot and cold meals. It’s also a Serve Good product, meeting rigorous criteria set by US Foods for responsible sourcing or waste reduction.
- Monogram Wheat Fiber Soufflé Cup: This Serve Good item is used for sauces, dips, dressings and other condiments. It is 100 percent compostable, made from molded wheat fiber as well as BPI certified.
- Monogram Pulp Folding Container: This item is 100 percent compostable, BPI-certified and is designed with a double-locking system that requires no lid. This Serve Good product comes in a 32-ounce size.
On-the-Go Proteins and Greens
With delivery and on-the-go ordering making a big impact on the dining landscape, bowls – touted for being customer-friendly and versatile – are a fast-growing trend on menus that make it easy for operators to adapt their on-premises menu to go. Summer Scoop offers many labor-saving and on-trend items perfect for delivery, including fully cooked and pre-sliced meats, and pre-washed produce options. Highlights include:
- Chef’s Line All Natural* Hickory Smoked Diced Pork Belly: This slow-cooked meat is smoked for four hours, eliminating costly time, labor and the need for special equipment. The ingredient profile meets the standards of US Foods Unpronounceables List initiative aimed at producing products with simple, more recognizable ingredients.
- Patuxent Farms All Natural* Sliced Fire Grilled Chicken Breast: Helping restaurant owners with quick preparation and consistent portioning, this flame-seared whole muscle chicken breast is fully cooked with defined grill marks and comes pre-sliced.
- Cross Valley Farms Baby Leaf and Herb Mix: This pre-washed, ready-to-use product contains parsley and dill for an aromatic, on-trend mix that can be used in a variety of applications. From salads to burger toppers, this item requires no extra attention, so it is the ultimate back-of-house product.
Consumers are on the go more than ever before, which means they want food items that match their active lifestyles. Summer Scoop features several snack and dessert grab-and-go products, which also reduce labor and preparation costs, and offer retail solutions that can grow a restaurant operator’s business. Highlights include:
- Chef’s Line Lemon Loaf Cake Slice: This item is made with the juice of California lemons and without high-fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors or preservatives. The ingredient profile complies with US Foods Unpronounceables List initiative and comes pre-sliced and pre-wrapped for grab-and-go usage.
- Chef’s Line Chocolate Banana Swirled Loaf Cake Slice: Pre-sliced and pre-wrapped, this product is made with ripened whole bananas, midnight cocoa and semi-sweet chocolate. It contains no-high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors, colors or preservatives, and the ingredient profile complies with the US Foods Unpronounceables List initiative.
- Chef’s Line Buttermilk Biscuit: Made with real butter and buttermilk and no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives, this larger biscuit can be served warm from the oven, with gravy or as a sandwich holder. The ingredient profile complies with the US Foods Unpronounceables List initiative.
Online Ordering Made Easy
To further help restaurant operators take advantage of delivery and to-go trends, Summer Scoop also features ChowNow, a part of US Foods’ CHECK Business Tools. ChowNow builds online ordering systems directly into a restaurant’s own website, social media page or branded mobile app, which goes a long way to help restaurants protect their brand. Plus, ChowNow is commission-free, offering restaurants a simple flat rate. Visit the ChowNow section on the US Foods website to learn more.
About US Foods
US Foods is one of America’s great food companies and a leading foodservice distributor, partnering with approximately 250,000 restaurants and foodservice operators to help their businesses succeed. With 25,000 employees and more than 60 locations, US Foods provides its customers with a broad and innovative food offering and a comprehensive suite of e-commerce, technology and business solutions. US Foods is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill. and generates approximately $24 billion in annual revenue. Visit www.usfoods.com to learn more.
1 National Restaurant Association, 2019
2 Technomic, 2018
3 Culinary Visions Panel, 2018
4 Dataessential, 2019
*No artificial ingredients. Minimally processed.