For all of plant-based beverages’ momentum, the category still sees significant resistance among traditional dairy milk drinkers. In fact, more than half say the taste of plant-based products keeps them from switching.
Put another way: Dairy drinkers don’t like that plant-based milks taste like plants. To help bring in those reluctant dairy lovers, Danone North America created plant-based milk that doesn’t taste like plants.
Applying its expertise in both dairy and plant-based beverages (via Silk and So Delicious Dairy Free), its experts deconstructed beloved dairy attributes and sensory experience (including “mouthfeel”) and then recreated them by blending a mix of familiar, high-quality plant-based ingredients. The result is a new plant-based “Dairy-Like” segment of plant-based products that don’t taste like any specific plant-based ingredient (almond, oat, soy, etc.) and are so rich and creamy, fans won’t miss dairy.
Given the size of the opportunity, there are many companies that have talked about doing this, but Danone has now done it: Launching in January 2022, new Silk nextmilk™ and So Delicious Wondermilk™ are designed to help close the gap between traditional dairy drinkers and plant-based beverage consumers, and Danone believes this will be a watershed moment for the category.
About Silk nextmilk™
Silk nextmilk™ is coming out in Whole Fat and Reduced Fat varieties at grocery stores nationwide in January 2022 at MSRP: $4.99 / carton.
- Excellent source of 6 key nutrients found in dairy, including Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, B12, Riboflavin and Phosphorus
- Offers 4g of plant-based protein per serving
- Lactose free, Non-GMO Project Verified, and 30% fewer calories than dairy milk*
- Silk Whole Fat Oatmilk and Plant-based blend has 110 calories per serving; whole milk has 149 calories per serving. Silk Reduced Fat Oatmilk and Plant-based blend has 90 calories per serving; Reduced fat milk has 122 calories per serving. USDA, ARS. Food Data Central, 2021. Data consistent with typical whole fat and reduced fat dairy milk.
About So Delicious Wondermilk™
So Delicious Wondermilk™ will debut in Whole Fat and Reduced Fat varieties in natural channels in January 2022 at MSRP: $4.99 / carton.
- The “wonder” of Wondermilk doesn’t stop at beverage. So Delicious, known for its leadership in frozen desserts & novelties, is also launching Wondermilk frozen desserts, available in five pint flavors ($5.49/pint) and two cone flavors ($6.49/box), starting January 2022.