LOS ANGELES, CA — Del Pacifico Seafoods was awarded with a SEAL (Sustainability, Environmental Achievement and Leadership) Sustainable Product Award for its wild-caught Mexican blue shrimp, marking the first time a shrimp company has ever received this prestigious award. The SEAL Sustainable Product Award is a globally recognized award that honors innovative and impactful products that are literally “purpose-built” for a sustainable future. Award applicants were judged on criteria such as impact metrics, innovation/uniqueness of the product, and its ability to inspire sustainable change.
As a leader in the sustainable seafood industry, Del Pacifico Seafoods is committed to bringing high-quality seafood to market in both the retail and foodservice spaces. Their wild-caught Blue Mexican Shrimp are caught off the western coast of Mexico in the Pacific Ocean using artisanal panga boats that are powered by the winds and tide to drift a ‘suripera’ net, the best and most sustainable way to catch blue Mexican shrimp.
The shrimp are sweet and succulent with a crisp, snappy texture. They are processed and flash-frozen once on the same day they are caught, and therefore contain no preservatives or chemicals. This same-day, out-and-back operation ensures the freshness and premium quality of Del Pacifico shrimp. Each package is also 100% traceable as they contain a scannable QR code to trace when and where the shrimp was caught.
“It’s an honor to be the first shrimp company to win a SEAL award for a sustainable product. Sustainability and using practices and techniques that protect both the species and the ocean is a top priority at Del Pacifico Seafoods. We are always enhancing and improving so we can provide clean, high-quality seafood,” said Ruben Castro, Chief Executive Officer at Del Pacifico Seafoods. “This recognition is not only a testament to the sustainability work that we pride ourselves on, but it also recognizes all the stakeholders from the fishermen to the contributors who make change possible with their effort and commitment.”
In 2016, Del Pacifico Seafoods became the first wild shrimp company in the world to receive Fair Trade Certification after meeting all requirements relating to labor, trade and responsible environmental practices. They have maintained fair-trade certifications for their wild-caught blue Mexican shrimp for seven years in a row and are on track to give back more than $457,000 in Fair Trade premiums this year. The company has given back more than $1 million to local fishing communities in Mexico since 2016.
The fair-trade certification sets the bar high for environmental stewardship and goes beyond sustainability. It guarantees that a premium from all purchases is returned directly to the fishers themselves. Currently, 30% of the premium must be spent on environmental conservation projects and the other 70% can be spent as the fishermen and community see fit. The fair-trade premium is used to fund needed projects in their fishing communities, such as adding air conditioning to schools, reforestation projects, cleaning up the bay and supporting the local Red Cross.
Del Pacifico Seafoods products can be found at Whole Foods Markets nationwide, regional retailers such as Gelson’s, online at Crowd Cow and Good Eggs, and at foodservice establishments across the US including Nordstrom Cafes. To learn more about Del Pacifico Seafoods, visit delpacificoseafoods.com.
ABOUT DEL PACIFICO SEAFOODS
Del Pacifico Seafoods was founded in 2014 with the mission to produce the world’s highest quality shrimp using the most sustainable methods of harvest and processing that exist today. Working in close collaboration with artisanal fishermen, offering them a fair chance to compete in the global seafood market, has allowed them to promote sustainable fishing practices and bring the world’s best shrimp to new markets. In addition to the fair-trade they are also certified BRC and ASC. For more information, visit www.delpacificoseafoods.com and follow Del Pacifico Seafoods on Facebook and Instagram.
ABOUT THE SEAL AWARDS
SEAL (Sustainability, Environmental Achievement & Leadership) Awards is an environmental advocacy organization that honors leadership through its business sustainability awards and environmental journalism awards while funding research and pursuing environmental impact campaigns. Learn more at sealawards.com.