MORELL, PE – The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Veterans Affairs, on behalf of The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, was in Morell, PEI, today to announce more than $49,000 in funding for P.E.I Mussel King Inc.
The investment, made under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership’s AgriMarketing Program, will support P.E.I Mussel King in export development opportunities, including attendance in Food Expos in the United States and Europe. Through attendance in food shows such as Seafood Global Brussels and Seafood Expo of North America, PEI Mussel King hopes to increase demand for Canadian mussels.
“The demand for Canadian seafood is growing right across the world and the Government of Canada is committed to support great industry leaders like P.E.I. Mussel King in their efforts to expand global markets for their world-class seafood. The agriculture and agri-food sector is a key driver of our economy, and creating new export opportunities will help us reach our goal of increasing Canadian agri-food exports to $75 billion annually by 2025 and put more money in the pockets of our exceptional food producers such as P.E.I. Mussel King Inc.”
– The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence
“P.E.I. Mussel King Inc. has used funding available through the AgriMarketing Program to exhibit at Seafood Expo North America in Boston, and at Seafood Expo Global in Brussels. Mussel King is committed to expanding its business in international markets. These exhibitions, that attract buyers from around the world, are integral events in our yearly calendar.”
– Esther Dockendorff, President, P.E.I. Mussel King Inc.
- P.E.I. Mussel King’s products are sold around the globe including Canada, United States, Eastern Europe, Asia and the Middle East with 75% of the products being exported outside of Canada.
- The Canadian Agricultural Partnership is a five-year, $3 billion investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments to strengthen the agriculture and agri-food sector.
- The AgriMarketing program supports industry-led promotional activities that differentiate Canadian products and producers, and leverage Canada’s reputation for high quality and safe food. The program also helps industry maintain domestic market.