by Royal Rose LLC
Posted: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 11:51AM EDT
From sophisticated to fun, Royal Rose Radicchio introduces Salads for Adults ™ … salad ideas that soak up adult flavor. Identification required! Royal Rose Radicchio would like you to think beyond the traditional green salad. Think wine soaked fruit, rum, bourbon, vodka and more! From starter and entrée salads to dessert salads as well, Royal Rose Radicchio is providing recipes for hot entrees, and warm and cold salads for adults only!
Intrigued by Apricot Brandy? Love Sangria? Pomegranate flavored Vodka sound tempting? Royal Rose incorporates adult beverages into its new salad recipes. Royal Rose Radicchio invites you to celebrate our new line of adult salads! You never know, you may find one that you love so much, you make it a part of your weekly menu. Serve at your next party as a starter or small bite and wow your friends.
Royal Rose, LLC
1120 Growers Street
Salinas, CA 93901
Background on Royal Rose The Company:
The “Salad Bowl of the World” gained some much-needed color, flavor and crunch in 1993 with the formation of Royal Rose LLC of Salinas, California. It proved to be the perfect combination “Old World vegetable meets New World agriculture power” and the results have been delicious.
Royal Rose took to growing and shipping four varieties of radicchio, a member of the chicory family that is revered in Italy and throughout Europe as a fresh, zesty addition to salads, pastas, pizzas and more. The vibrant color, pleasing bitterness and unmistakable crunch come together to form a unique addition to any meal.
It all started when Italian farmers Lucio Gomiero and Carlo Boscolo teamed up with Salinas Valley growers. With the packaged salad revolution about to explode, the timing couldn’t have been better. Royal Rose turned a seasonal vegetable into a year-round treat, following the sun through four growing regions to supply the growing market with field-fresh radicchio.
Led by company president Dennis Donohue (who also happens to be current mayor of Salinas), Royal Rose’s Fresher-Bigger-Better program reflects an ongoing commitment to educating consumers about the vegetable’s versatility and freshness. Royal Rose is also committed to education. Its marketing campaigns “Radicchio Bites Back” and “What's A Salad Without Radicchio?” reflect an ongoing commitment to promoting and popularizing radicchio in the American marketplace.
Radicchio has begun to enjoy mainstream acceptance by consumers. McDonald’s now includes radicchio in its premium salads in many markets, and chefs all over the country have come to look beyond the salad, holding the versatile vegetable in high esteem and using it raw, grilled or sautéed and in a variety of specialized dishes.
Royal Rose Radicchio’s newest marketing campaign “Salads for Adults” ™ offers the Foodservice arena a new high-end, high-nutrition line of starters for the bar and restaurant. “Salads for Adults” product packaging and recipe cards are available for Retail outlets as well so that consumers see consistent messaging. Professionally developed recipes, social media applications, and cooking demonstration videos will support the campaign on the Royal Rose website www.radicchio.com .
Salads for Adults ™ Recipes:
Southwestern Grilled Royal Rose Radicchio Chopped Salad- Chef Cy Yontz, Rio Grill, Carmel, California
Creamy Smoked Jalapeno-Tequila-Lime Dressing
1 Shallot- quartered
2 clove garlic, minced
1 chipotle chile- canned in adobo
2 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice2 tablespoons tequila
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
1/2 tablespoon kosher Salt
For The Salad
1/8 cup olive oil
2 heads Treviso radicchio, quartered lengthwise
1 small head romaine, quartered lengthwise
2 yellow corn whole- husk removed
1/4 cup black eyed peas- cooked and rinsed
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes- julienne
1/4 cup green onions- chopped
2 hard-cooked egg, peeled and cut into- 1/4 -inch dice
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/4 cup queso fresco
1. In a food processor or blender, Place all ingredients for the dressing in food processor or blender and blend for 30 second or until light and creamy. Set aside.
2. Preheated grill on medium-high heat. Brush the radicchio, romaine and yellow corn lightly with the olive oil. Grill until lightly charred but still crisp, turning so that all sides are quickly grilled, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Remove from the grill, and chill in refrigerator. When cold, dice radicchio and romaine into 1 inch dice. Take the yellow corn and remove kernel from husk with a knife.
3. Toss chopped radicchio and romaine with the grilled corn, black eyed peas, sun dried tomatoes, green onions, egg and cilantro. Toss with the dressing. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
4. Mound a quarter of the salad onto each of four plates. Top with crumbled queso fresco. Serve immediately.
Sangria Salad with Royal Rose Radicchio by Chef Brandon Miller at Mundaka in Carmel, California
1 cup Fruity Red Wine
1 cup mixed dry fruit i.e. Raisins, cherries, apricots etc.
3 tablespoons sugar
2 each oranges, zests and juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup pure olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
For The Salad
2 heads Royal Rose radicchio cleaned
6 oz. Manchego cheese
1. In a small sauce pan combine wine, fruit, sugar, orange zests and juice. Simmer over medium heat for ten minutes until fruit is plump. Strain out the fruit and continue to reduce liquid to ½ cup, cool.
2. In a blender put cooled wine, vinegar and blend. With blender running slowly add oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Dress the salad with desired amount of dressing, sprinkle with poached fruit and shave cheese over the salad. Serve.
Source: Royal Rose LLC